October 21, 2005

Charles Barkley, Style Maven

From the October 21 edition of The Daily Quickie:
Charles Barkley offered the most interesting and authoritative take yet supporting the NBA dress code. Here's the money quote from Leno on Wednesday night:

"Young black kids dress like NBA players. Unfortunately, they don't get paid like NBA players. So when they go out in the real world, what they wear is held against them.

"See, these players make $10 million to $15 million a year, so nobody cares how they dress. But regular black kids go out into the real world and how they dress is held against them.

"If a well-dressed white kid and a black kid wearing a do-rag and throwback jersey came to me in a job interview, I'd hire the white kid. That's reality. That's the No. 1 reason I support the dress code."

I'm in favor of the NBA's new dress code...well, most of it. I have some issues with it but I think it's a good idea. With Barkley's perspective, I now think it's a great idea.

There are times when I just love Barkley.
=============================
Update: No less an authority on dress codes than Michael Vick has offered his opinion on the matter:
"It's a crazy situation,'' Vick said. "I don't know why people with power would make them dress the way that they want them to dress. Those guys are professionals, but at the same time we are all grown (men).''
Hey Michael? Don't you get paid millions of dollars by a league that fines players for wearing their socks the wrong way? Besides, Mister Ron Mexico, your alternative jersey runs contrary to your league's dress code.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home